This month marks the release of Keris Marsden and Matt Whitmore’ widely anticipated ‘second helping’ of bestselling book The Paleo Primer.
Both experts in nutrition, fitness and healthy living, the duo have over 20 years experience combined and now champion an innovative new approach to primal nutrition. Founders of Fitter Food, they have helped thousands of people regain control of their bodies with healthy nutrition, exercise and lifestyle habits.
To celebrate the launch of The Paleo Primer: A Second Helping, we are giving away a copy of their book to one lucky Mental Movement reader! To enter, please like and re-tweet the Paleo Primer Competition on our Twitter page @mentalmovement
So, What Is The Paleo Diet?
Many paleo diets call for the exclusion of certain foods and drinks, however Matt and Keris promote a Paleo-ish diet, which encourages balance and a little of what you fancy. The Paleo diet is one of the healthiest ways you can eat because it is the only nutritional approach that works with your genetics. This way of eating can help you stay lean, strong and energetic making it a plausible option for people suffering with low energy as a result of anxiety or depression. Research continues to tell us that the detrimental effects to our modern day diets shouldn’t be ignored with our diets consisting of refined foods, trans fats and sugar. All of which are linked to the development of many degenerative diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and even cancer.
The Paleo Primer book is stuffed full of incredibly simple and easy to concoct recipes, all of which look absolutely delish! We are particularly keen to bake their BOSH Brownie (no doubt we will upload videos of our attempts so stay tuned)! Among the amazing recipes, Keris and Matt do a great job educating the reader on the common myths and facts surrounding saturated fats, red meat consumption and cholesterol. From breakfast ideas to dessert, these guys have got you covered!
What We Love About This Book?
This recipe book does not skimp on photographs! Yay! For visual folk like us, its really important to flick through, see the pics and think “omg that looks so amazing I have to go out and get the ingredients and make that NOW”.. You’ll be pleased to know there are over 20 pages worth of these moments in this book and every recipe photograph looks achievable. This is important to us because lets face it – we aren’t all michelin star chefs with the energy to create stunning and insta-grammable food plates three times a day. Urm no.
What Foods Can I Enjoy?
- Fruits, Herbs & Spices
- Vegetables, Root Vegetables, Potatoes & Sweet Potatoes
- Lean Meats
- Nuts & Seeds
- Healthy Fats
- Quality dairy
- Unrefined grains in moderation
What Foods Will I Have to Avoid?
- Processed foods and sugars
Steak & Halloumi Salad Recipe
SERVES: 2 PREP TIME: 5 MINS COOKING TIME: 10 MINS
Courtesy of Nourish Books and The Paleo Primer, we have a delicious, simple and easy-to-make Paleo recipe perfect for your summer months.
Here’s what you will need:
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 2 handfuls rocket
- 1 handful grated carrot
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 x 250g steaks, cut into strips
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½–1 tsp cayenne chilli powder
- Himalayan pink or Celtic sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 80g halloumi cheese, sliced
- Drizzle of olive oil to serve
- Place the spinach, rocket, carrot and tomatoes in a large bowl and toss together.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a pan over a medium heat before adding the steak strips and cooking for around a minute or until the steak browns slightly. Add the paprika, garlic, chilli, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for about 6–8 minutes or until the steak is cooked to your liking.
- When the steak is nearly done, heat the remaining olive oil in another pan and add the halloumi slices. Cook for a couple of minutes on each side or until golden.
- Divide the salad into two serving bowls and top with the steak strips. Slice the halloumi lengthways and add to the salad.
- Drizzle with olive oil and serve.
This post has been supported by Nourish Books. The Paleo Primer: A Second Helping by Matt Whitmore and Keris Marsden is available for purchase here at £14.99.
Don’t forget to re-tweet us @mentalmovement for your chance to win a copy of the book! Good Luck!