London based artist and designer Bans launches her brand new hand-painted clothing collection and zine ‘STAY GRATEFUL’ on Friday 3rd November at Wah Nails in Soho, London.
The collection and zine will be available to view and purchase in-store from midday Friday, with an official launch party taking place that evening at 6 pm. There will also be special ‘CONSCIOUS KIDZ‘ events taking place on Sunday 5th November at WAH including a clothing customisation workshop with the artist and motivational talks for youths from a range of empowering speakers. There will also be free zines for teens!
STAY GRATEFUL is a project that aims to send a message to practice gratitude, be happy and to help create a community of young people who care and want to make a difference…whilst still being swaggy af!! The collection itself will feature a range of vibrant hand-painted items including chef pants, pink & blue camo cargos, jeans with patches and fluffy jackets. Bans’ lovingly hand-painted BANS GANG characters appear throughout the collection; cheerful motifs and colourful pop-culture references that radiate positivity.
Bans aka Hannah Prebble is an artist/ illustrator based in South London. Her debut solo exhibition, WAVEY THINGS, was held at Doomed Gallery in Dalston 29th September- 3rd October 2016. It featured 100 ceramic hip-hop heads, skate decks and some of her first hand-painted garms. The clothing was a big hit and she’s been exploring that since then! She’s on a mission to use her art and her brand to change the world by spreading a positive message and being a good role model to young people, she’s incorporating her reflections on life and advice into her work to try to influence kids for the better.
Bans explains the idea behind STAY GRATEFUL saying, “This generation is so sick and full of amazing things but it’s also teeming with pressure; STAY GRATEFUL is a celebration of the good and a reminder to steer clear of any negativity, rise above it all and always be the best you can be!!! I also hope to highlight the mental health issues that youth face – and offer some solace and support through art, fashion and music and by creating a community. Ultimately my work is all about embracing who you are, putting love into everything you do and rocking some colourful garms because they make you feel happy.”
The event will be hosted in conjunction with WAH Nails. The founder of WAH, Sharmadean Reid, is a former fashion stylist and brand consultant who started WAH as a hip-hop magazine for girls in 2006 while still at uni. She then founded WAH Nails as a side project in 2009 which has gone from strength to strength.
WAH has a huge youth following (450k Instagram followers). It’s very conveniently located next door to the Supreme store in the heart of Soho! WAH hold lots of amazing events with big brands as well as empowering events for women and young people. Everything about WAH is vibrant and good vibes so it’s the perfect platform for such a colourful collection and the message underpinning it!
EVENT: STAY GRATEFUL Collection Preview & Launch Party
Clothing launch, zine release and weekend workshops for teens from Bans Illustration!
Date: Friday 3rd November 2017
- 12 pm: COLLECTION PREVIEW: Earlybird chance to check out the collection & purchase the garms before the rush. Bans will be painting the shop window during the day.
- 6pm – 10pm: COLLECTION LAUNCH PARTY! Complimentary Drinks supplied by Malibu with DJs. Please RSVP to email@example.com or on facebook event: www.facebook.com/events/
From 12 pm on Friday 3rd November, the collection will be available online as well as instore.
Location: WAH Nails, 4 Peter St, Soho, London W1F 0AD
Additional details: www.bansillustration.com | @bansillustration
STAY GRATEFUL at WAH Nails
Date: Saturday 4th November 2017
Schedule: Collection will be available to purchase in-store throughout the day
Location: Wah Nails, 4 Peter St, Soho, London W1F 0AD
EVENT: CONSCIOUS KIDZ TEEN EVENT
Teenagers aged between 12 and 17 welcome!
Date: Sunday 5th November 2017
- 12 pm – 2 pm: Clothing customisation workshop: Bans will show you how to customise your own garments! Please bring a piece of clothing with you to work on. Cost: FREE!
- 3pm – 5pm: Motivational Talks: A set of talks from inspirational speakers who will share their story to empower young people! Going over a range of topics such as social media pressures, dealing with mental health issues and finding your passion. A space for young people to feel uplifted and inspired. Speakers include:
- Bans: touching on her own experiences overcoming depression and what she’s learned as an artist/brand on her journey
- Aaron Fd Indigo aka Indigoo Child: Model & musician who regularly creates inspiring podcasts called Babylon & Buddhism. Being part of The Soka Gakkai International and a Nichiren Daishonin Buddhist, he has awoken to his mission as a Bodhisattva to spread his message in an age of trauma and sadness.
- Jordan Simmons aka Vodka & Water: Artist & musician who will speak about consciousness and energy!
- Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or on facebook event: www.facebook.com/events/
FREE ZINE (also titled STAY GRATEFUL) FOR ALL TEENAGERS WHO ATTEND, a collection of paintings and reflections from Bans. ♥
There will be a prize draw called at 17:00 on Sunday 5th November, the proceeds will go to a youth charity (charity tbc). Tickets for this will be available at WAH from 12:00 on Friday 3rd Nov and throughout the weekend.